The importance of brake fluid change (services)
Brake fluid is a type of hydraulic fluid used in hydraulic brake and hydraulic clutch applications in automobiles.
It is used to transfer force into pressure and to amplify brake force. Brake fluid moves various components of your vehicle’s braking system.
The fluid operates under high temperatures and high pressure, and without it, your vehicle would not be able to stop when you push in the brake pedal.
Brake fluid applies pressure to the wheels and ultimately slows or stops your vehicle’s movement.
How brake fluid works within a hydraulic brake system
1. The driver steps on the brake pedal
2. The pedal compresses a piston inside the brake calliper
3. This compression increases the pressure inside the brake lines and sends the brake fluid into motion
4. The pressure of the brake fluid then causes the brake rotors to squeeze down on brake pads, which then make contact with the wheels, slowing and eventually stopping wheel rotation and also the vehicle itself
When the vehicle has low brake fluid it can affect your brake pads and it will not work as it is supposed to.
Sometime brake pads can also start to leak and this causes brake fluid to escape the brake system, and this is also very dangerous and the vehicle should not drive in this condition.
5 Signs to indicate that the brake fluid level is low
1. ABS light comes on- most common and surest indication
2. Pedal problems- pedal can feel stuck when you step on it
3. Strange noises coming from the brake system
4. Brake pads not functioning well
5. A burning smell- due to a lack of lubrication
A lot of people fail to keep their brake fluid service up to date and this can cause a lot of problems for you. For a VW and Audi, we suggest that you do a brake fluid change every two years.
This will assure that your vehicle’s brake system works properly.
Trust your Audi and VW specialists at V.A.G Spec Centre to take care of your vehicle and its essentials.
Visit our website: VAGSPEC CENTRE ZEERUST
Find us on Facebook: VAGspec Centre Zeerust Vw & Audi Specialist